In this article, direct dyes exporters will tell you about the terms crocking, color bleeding, and color fading. You will also learn about preventive measures for color transfer, fading and bleeding.
Crocking or color transfer occurs when you run fabric against something, like furniture, skin, or shoes. This happens when dye hasn’t properly fixed to the fabric.
Color bleeding happens when the fabric gets wet and dye drains out of the fabric. This usually happens when you wash your clothes in automatic machines or washing machine and result in color transfer between items in the load.
Color fading happens when the fabric has lost most of the color and become less vibrant and attractive.
There are multiple reasons to crock, bleed, and fade. Some of them are listed below-
• Poor quality of dye used for coloring fabric
• Incorrect dying technique applied by the vendor
• Incorrect dye used for the type of fabric
• Excessive dye used and left over onto fabric and not rinsed thoroughly during the dying process.
• The manufacturer has not applied mordant or fixture to bind the dye on fabric.
• The mordant has washed out of the fabric when you use hot water
• Wear and tear i.e. friction between fabrics cam cause micro-breakage in the fibers
• Bleaching can be caused by the fabric’s exposure to bleach products, sun, or heat.
How to prevent such things?
• You can treat your fabrics with a color fixative such as Retayne or Rit Dye fixative. Dyes fixtures help reduce color bleeding in fabrics where dye has not been adhered properly.
• Wash same colored clothes at a time and never wash new clothes in that laundry. The mordants or chemical fixers used for holding the dye to the fiber can be depleted if you wash them often.
• Wash with cold water because hot water opens up the fibers and this helps dye to escape and run.
• The friction happens during wash cycle can result in micro-breakage in the fiber.
• You can wash clothes like jeans and less dirty laundry for a few minutes. Gentle cycle will help reduce friction.
• Never leave wet clothes sitting in the machine for longer time to prevent color leaching.
• You can re-dye your faded clothes using home dye-kits available in the market.
You can try these tips and protect your clothes and prevent them from fading, bleeding or color transferring. For re-dyeing stuff, you can contact direct dyes exporters.