Weight loss is in the top five resolutions for each New Year. Unfortunately, 60% of those who commit to losing weight fail. There are many things that can improve success of a weight loss commitment. First and foremost, it is important to set a reasonable goal. Expecting to lose 50 pounds right off the bat is unrealistic, but 5 to 10 pounds is do-able.
Here Are My Top Five Tips for Success:
- Exercise will help to accelerate weight loss. One of the most common mistakes that people make is overdoing it. Unfortunately, high intensity exercise may prompt people to eat more and then they gain weight instead of losing it. Moderate exercise is the best way to start especially if you have been relatively sedentary. Another common mistake is that some people eat more after exercise; because they overestimate how many calories they burn. So, watch out!
- Eat one less bite at each meal. By doing that you can cut out 75 calories a day and lose 8 pounds over a year. Most of us were raised to be part of the “clean plate” club. It is time to give up your membership.
- Water is essential for life. It is important to maintain adequate hydration. the general recommendation is for 64 ounces or eight glasses of water a day. It will fill you up and help you to burn calories. Drinking ice water burns even more calories.
- Eating a low-cal veggie soup before a meal will help decrease calorie consumption by 20%. Add spice and it will further help with hunger. Not only that but, capsaicin, which is found in chilies can trigger the release of endorphins, those feel-good hormones that are also increased with exercise. So, you will feel happy AND less hungry.
- Eating breakfast is very important to aid with weight loss. In fact, eating the majority of your calories early in the day can make a big difference. An Israeli study looked at two groups of overweight women. They were all fed the same amount of calories and the exact same food every day over 12 weeks. The only difference was the timing. One group had the major number of calories at breakfast and the fewest at dinner. The other group had the major number of calories at dinner and the fewest at breakfast. The breakfast group lost an average of 17.8 pounds the dinner group lost an average of 7.3 pounds.
If you have resolved to lose weight this year be realistic and be reasonable.
Follow these simple tips to successfully lose weight and maintain your weight loss for life. These are just good principles to follow. Have a happy and healthy New Year!